23 novembre 2012

Fashion Illustration and the City. A talk with Meagan Morrison from Travel, Write, Draw



Illustration and fashion have a symbiotic relationship. Before photography, as a representation of fashion and cover of magazines, comes the art of Illustration. And even before a dress or a suit comes its sketch. So, we can ever never doubt about the importance of Fashion Illustrations. And, talking about this art, I could not talk about my illustration crush, Meagan Morrison. Even if Fashion Illustration has been undermined by fashion photography, we can't deny the glamour of this art. So, today I'd prefer to be in a trendy cafeteria in Manhattan, talking with Meagan and admiring illustrations drawn by her, but I have to be in a cold (very cold) italian city, admiring these illustrations on the blogosphere and talking with her by emails. Meagan Morrison is a young, ubercool, canadian girl based in New York City. I discovered her thanks to her blog "Travel, Write, Draw" and I've been catapulted in this amazing world of amazing Illustration. "Travel, Write, Draw" are three words representing three passions. The inspiration comes from travel and all that surrounds, she writes and draws about her travels around the world and about her New York experience. And about fashion, obviously. She's illustrated events for both Urban Outfitters and Lord & Taylor's Fashion's Night Out in New York. She has done editorial illustrations for Flare and IDEE FIXE Magazine. She has exhibited her works at two consecutive shows at W HOTEL in Times Square New York. Meagan is definitely trying to live this dream. So, we talk (in my imagination in a trendy cafeteria in NY, in the reality in front of a computer by emails, Facebook and our blogs) about our passion and I decided to interview her about some topics. (I absolutely advise you to visit her shop online  where you can find amazing Iphone cases and Illustrations). 

On starting painting:
 I've been painting since I was old enough to hold a paintbrush.What and how I paint has changed so much overtime though. Before my first degree I was more of a fine art painter, very abstract expressionist. Then after my business degree at McGill I discovered the field of fashion illustration and started channeling my art and painting towards fashion accessories and figure drawing. I still prefer painting above any other medium ie sketching, sculpting, or digital illustration. It is just so loose and exciting; there are so many more possibilities for happy accidents when you paint. 

 

On starting to do Fashion Illustrations:
I started experimenting with fashion illustration in high school during our fashion sewing class. We had to articulate our designs on the female form. I had no real formal introduction to it however. I grew up in such a small town where fashion, never mind fashion illustration, was something seriously considered or talked about. I suppose throughout the years I would illustrate small bits of fashion that I adored but it really took moving to New York to study Fashion Illustration at FIT before I started drawing fashion regularly. 



On the importance of Fashion Illustration for her:
Fashion Illustration is everything to me, it's who I am, my raison d'etre. It inspires me everyday to create something new, to merge fashion and art together in such a beautiful way. I'm grateful everyday that I found my calling, my true passion. I realize how rare it is to feel that strongly about anything in life, especially your chosen career path. I never want to stop and I don't think I ever will. I want to continue to paint beautiful fashion inspired illustrations and patterns until I reach the stars.

On living on her dream in New York: 
"Living my dream doesn't feel like a dream at all ha! It feels like a lot of hard work with often very little reward. Obviously living in New York comes with a lot of perks; we have access to the best fashion, restaurants, clubs, exhibitions, galleries, hotels and so much more. I get to sit next to some of my favorite actors or actresses just by riding the subway or eating at a trendy cafe. But I think too often life here is glamorized from the outside looking in. It takes a lot of persistence, perseverance, and believing in yourself to weather the fierce competition and rejection that comes with living in one of the greatest cities in the world. If there is one thing I've prided myself on between what I share on my blog and the people I meet, it is painting a very honest picture of what it has taken to get here and stay here. But all that negative stuff aside, I will say that "living my dream" means working everyday for a greater belief, a greater purpose. It keeps me inspired, creative, and hopeful of whats to come. Check back with me in five years and we will see how it's hopefully paid off!" 

 "I fell in love with New York the first time I ever visited when I was around 14 years old. I came with my Mom for my Spring break and was just blown away by the magnitude of the city. The fashion, the art, the restaurants, the neighborhoods; everything here felt larger than life! At that point I remember committing to my dream of wanting to pursue a fashion career in New York. When I look back now I can't believe I actually made it happen. Some days I still can't believe I'm really here; it took so much hard work for this to come true. New York honestly feels like the center of the universe. Walk down any street and you are likely to hear five different languages in any given conversation. There is so much diversity in the tiny little island of Manhattan. I've been here for over three years and I'm still finding streets I've never walked down before."

On the best "fashion" part on New York: 
 "The best "fashion" part of New York is seeing how different people dress just by walking a few blocks to the next neighborhood. Go from the Meatpacking District to the West Village, or the East Village to the Lower East Side, and you are guaranteed to see a shocking variation in how and what people are wearing. I would say overall though, New York has such a nitty gritty sense of fashion. When I was in London and Paris just this past September and came back to New York, the first thing that hit me was how dirty and grimy New York feels. That certainly influences how people dress here. We all wear our own armor whether it's studded Christian Louboutin's or knee high doc martens.   

The best outfit for New York: 
"In the Fall I would say the best outfit for New York would be a super cute pair of flats (suede loafer with studs or patent pointed toe Mary Jane) with a slim black trouser or cuffed denim. I do a lot of walking in New York so flats are key. Then throw on an oversize light sweater layered with a beautiful overcoat and statement scarf. Finish the look with a doctor's bag/tote, super dark biggie sunglasses, with a Starbucks cinnamon dolce latte. New York Fall weather requires you dress in layers and an outfit like this could look chic and comfortable from brunch to dinner or drinks.

Tips for those who wants to live in this big city:
- Expect to get very little for a lot when it comes to renting an apartment and really prioritize what is important to you when deciding where to live (being in Manhattan means more walking and less space vs Brooklyn or Queens etc). 
- Expect to get very little for a lot when it comes to renting an apartment.
- Be prepared to work hard to survive (the competition in both career and otherwise is sky high).
- Really prioritize what is important to you when deciding where to live (being in Manhattan means more walking and less space vs Brooklyn or Queens etc).
- Take total advantage of the amazing concerts, exhibitions, pop up shops or events that go on here.
- Be inspired; keep your eyes and ears open always! You just never know who you might be sitting next to.

- Network, network, network. In New York the person next to you in the grocery line might be your next boss or client! 
- Lastly, be yourself and always stay true to you. Honesty and sincerity go a long way here because sadly it is rare.

I-phone case, shop HERE

Yours Cristina L




25 commenti:

Francesca ha detto...

Wow!
The Glossy Mag

The Fashion Commentator ha detto...

OMG! Ciao Cri! Non conoscevo affatto il lavoro di Meagan Morrison, e dire che sto attento più agli illustratori che ai fotografi! :)
Intervista carina, divertente, ma soprattutto spontanea e UTILE!!! E' realista quando descrive la città e a tratti quasi comica per le situazioni che si possono presentare! Però diciamo la verità...ci scambieremmo molto volentieri eh?! ;)
Great job!
Alessandro - http://www.thefashioncommentator.blogspot.it

MILLY ha detto...

ciao grazie del commento! faccio un po fatica a tradurre l'inglese però grazie per avermi fatto conoscere questa stupenda illustratrice!

kcomekarolina ha detto...

that looks fab!



xoxo from rome
K.
kcomekarolina.com

lucia m ha detto...

loving the pics!

xx

www.aroundlucia.com
www.aroundlucia.com

Dancing Branflake ha detto...

I love her NY outfit. Can she dress me always? haha!

Stacey ha detto...

Wow! This is a very enlightening posts and I adore all the images!

Darija ha detto...

love the illustrations!

following you now, hope you'll follow back!

http://fromparis-with-love.blogspot.com/

Non si dice piacere - La moda passa, lo stile resta ha detto...

mamma mia che meraviglia!!!!

http://nonsidicepiacere.blogspot.it

Lorenzo Bises ha detto...

Non conoscevo le sue illustrazioni tantomeno il personaggio, la prima è deliziosa, basta ho deciso che devo fare una versione parigina di un mio cerchietto!

Ciao cri, vedi quanto sei brava e diversa dalla mischia?

L.

Anonimo ha detto...

It's really a great and helpful piece of info. I'm happy that you just shared
this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
Thanks for sharing.

Feel free to surf to my web page; transformational Vocabulary
Also see my webpage > Crochet Thread

Anonimo ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato da un amministratore del blog.
Anonimo ha detto...

Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew
where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!

my web site :: "enough"

Anonimo ha detto...

After exploring a handful of the blog posts on your web site,
I really appreciate your technique of writing
a blog. I added it to my bookmark webpage list and will be
checking back soon. Take a look at my web site too and let me know your
opinion.

Feel free to surf to my weblog; art blog

Anonimo ha detto...

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?

I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.
If you know of any please share. Thank you!

Also visit my blog: business financial news

Anonimo ha detto...

Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this site needs far more attention.

I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!

Look at my page - news on environmental issues

Anonimo ha detto...

Yesterday, while I was at the job, my cousin stole my iphone and
tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just
so she can be quite a youtube sensation. My ipad is currently
broken and she has 83 views. I understand this is completely off topic but I had to talk
about it with somebody!

my web page advertising communication

Anonimo ha detto...

What's up, I read your blog like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep doing what you're doing!


Take a look at my web blog - aerospace manufacturing

Anonimo ha detto...

Very good article! We will be linking to this great article on our website.
Keep up the good writing.

Here is my web site - financial and business news

Anonimo ha detto...

Howdy are using Wordpress for your site platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started
and set up my own. Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my homepage :: ()

Anonimo ha detto...

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your
web site, how could i subscribe for a blog web
site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit
acquainted of this your broadcast provided
bright clear concept

Also visit my blog post: Ceiling Interior Design :: :
:

Anonimo ha detto...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here!
Good luck for the next!

My blog; Fishing Gifts :: ::

Anonimo ha detto...

It's going to be end of mine day, but before ending I am reading this wonderful piece of writing to increase my experience.

Also visit my blog post Home Shopping Arizona

Anonimo ha detto...

Hurrah! After all I got a web site from where I be capable of actually
obtain useful information regarding my study and knowledge.


my web site ... cheap-decorations.fashionarticles.

eu - http://www.zs91.comwww.radabg.com -

Anonimo ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato da un amministratore del blog.